Thursday, March 8, 2007

Project GIS and FLEX 3D started

Aloha!
I started working on my research about GIS (geographical information systems) few weeks ago. As I explored the subject deeper, I found that its evolving really fast and the possibilities that it gives... well they can have tremendous influence on our society in next years, to be honest I truly believe that the future lays there.. hehe I can imagine governors playing SimCity like game on GIS software, they virtually place a home -> application sends job specification to construction group and they start their work... ok futurismooo but possible.... so after reading some articles especially about ESRI using they latest tool ArcWeb Explorer :
http://mxdj.sys-con.com/read/295386.htm
http://www.spatiallyadjusted.com/2006/06/29/esri-is-a-adobe-flex-2-success-story/
and because I'm quite familiar with the Adobe Flex 2 technology abilities.. I thought, why not to go further and develop three dimensions interface in Flex 2.. Imagine going through the cities and looking from first person perspective view. That would be cool. Well to be honest if we could develop 3D abilities in Flex, that kind of solution would affect not only GIS but also navigation on Web applications and online gaming as well. Its worth seeing what can be done in that direction.. So lets start.. this week I'm gonna dig the web in search of existing solutions for 3D in Flex.

Any comments, pointers and suggestions would be most appreciated.
Saludos!

Marcin
http://sauax.boo.pl

2 comments:

yopyop said...

do you know about http://www.citygml.org/ ?
It is a XML format, with the information you need I think.

BTW, Papervision3D loads COLLADA documents. Maybe not too difficult to convert gitigml to COLLADA+extras and adapt Papervision3D source to it ?

Marcin said...

hi remi! that is exactly what I was looking for. margarithas and tropic island tickets are on their way. Thats right, collada is supported by pv3d. but instead of importing cityGML I think it would be better to write a parser for GML in pv3d, as it is an open source project. Thanks again for great pointer!game on